Community is an area of social living; Arnold Green described it as ‘local territorial group’. According to MacIver:
Wherever the members of a group small or large live together in such a way that they share not this or that particular interest, but the basic conditions of a common life, is a community
Meaning of Community:
The concept of community is derived from the Latin word commune, which meaning is to communicate. Accordingly, by community is meant such a group of people between whom there is a common mode of communicating with one another. There is a similarity in their languages, habits, and customs, means of livelihood and conditions and characteristics of common life. It constituent conditions are as under:
* A geographical boundary for permanent settlement of number of individuals and their families including land to provide means of subsistence.
* Interaction between such individuals in earning their livelihood and leading a collective life.
* Representing similarity in their common way of life to be regarded as a unit by others.
* Having a prototype of organization for their mutual security and survival.
Characteristic of community:
* It is an organized group of individuals settled in the geographic area.
* Its members have a permanent abode in a limited area.
* It has a complete social organization of its own as to the use of land, water etc.
* It has organized meaning of subsistence for its inheritance such as farming, animal husbandry etc.
* It maintains itself and the whole population of the country by providing food materials.
* The individual members are held together by unity of thoughts, actions and beliefs.
* There is simplicity and similarity of its individual’s common life.
* Its members give preference to their collective interest of safety and integrity.
* After family and neighbourhood it is the second basic unit of society.
* It serves as local administrative unit.